Can an “Irrevocable” Trust be Changed?

Under New York law, a trustee can modify an irrevocable trust in certain situations. The process, called “decanting,” permits alteration of a trust by “pouring” the existing (invaded) trust into a new trust. This gives the trustee surprising flexibility to create a new trust that will better accommodate changed circumstances, notwithstanding that the trust is irrevocable.

Read more